For more than 200 years, Butler has been home to industry, family owned businesses and marking its place in history. Butler County has been an industrial center since the early 1800’s to the birthplace of the Bantam Jeep in 1941. From oil refining roots to the present-day Marcellus Shale boom, from railroad car manufacturing in the past, to the headquarters of Westinghouse Nuclear today, Butler County is the industrial hub of the area.
Our downtown shopping and restaurant district is a thriving, nationally accredited Main Street community. As the county seat, Butler is also the hub of government and commercial activity. Conveniently close to the city of Pittsburgh and its world-class education medicine, arts and sports, Butler truly provides residents with metropolitan living and small town convenience.
The sense of community makes Butler feel like home to resident or visitor. Full time Police and Fire Departments keep the Butler community safe. Residents have easy access to a variety social services and programs. The Bus transit system services the city and surrounding townships.
At the renovated Farmers’ Market residents can shop for fresh local foods in season, or have a place to attend community events from children’s holiday parties to Steeler pep rallys!
A busy public library offers many services including genealogy research and children’s programming. Butler County Community College and Slippery Rock University offer degree, community, and continuing education just miles from city center.
The Butler Memorial Hospital, serving the community since 1898, recently completed a new patient and surgical tower providing state-of-the-art medical care and a nationally recognized cardiac care unit. The innovative Community Health Clinic of Butler County offers health care for many residents.
Tourism is the County’s number one economic driver, so local residents or visitors won’t get bored. Bikers and hikers can enjoy the Butler Freeport Trail, accessible from Father Marinaro Park on the Southside. Marked bike routes get bikers around town. Baseball enthusiasts can spend an evening at historic Pullman Park cheering our own Butler Blue Sox. City parks and playgrounds offer places for picnics, tennis, and skateboarding.
Arts and cultural activities are easy to find at the Associated Artists Gallery; the Maridon Museum, Pennsylvania’s premiere Asian art museum; the Butler Little Theatre, and the West New Castle Street Plaza hosts free concerts throughout the summer. History buffs will enjoy the Shaw House and Little Red School or take a walking / driving tour from the home of the first Jeep to the new city murals.
Named by Smithsonian Magazine in the top ten best small towns in America, the world learned what we have known all along: Butler is a great place to live, work, and relax!
The City Building
The Butler City Building, on the corner of North and Washington Streets, was originally constructed as a single family residence by George A. Troutman of A. Troutman’s Sons, a part owner of the largest store in Butler in the early 1900s. The Troutman family was prominently connected with the mercantile interests of Butler for many years.
Constructed in 1909, the building is a four story brick and stone masonry structure of the Beaux Arts design, considered to be one of the finest private residences in the City. The architecture and finishes both inside and out were described in Butler County History as “beautiful in the extreme.” The inside woodwork is and mahogany. The most remarkable features are the three palladion windows at the front, rear and west sides of the building on the second floor.
The city purchased the building on June 13, 1930 for the purpose of housing the City offices. Several modifications were made to accommodate administrative offices, but the dining room with its fireplace and mahogany woodwork became and continues to be the Mayor’s Office.
In 1988, N. Lee Ligo Associates was hired to design and supervise the renovations to preserve the look and period of the building.