Civil Service Tests for 2016 Entry-Level Police Officers
Public Safety Employment Application:
Civil Service Test | Application for Police Officer/Firefighter
- A physical fitness test will be administered on October 7, 2016 at the Allegheny County Police Academy, 700 West Ridge Drive, Allison Park, PA. Candidates who pass the physical fitness test will be given a written examination immediately following. Other mandatory components of the test are an oral examination, a background investigation, a medical examination and a psychological examination. A complete copy of the City’s hiring policy, as set forth in its Civil Service Rules and Regulations, is available in the Office of the City Clerk for inspection during regular business hours.
- Completed applications must be returned to the Office of the City Clerk, 140 West North Street, Butler, PA 16001 not later than 4:00PM on September 23, 2016. Applications received after that time will be rejected.
- Test Administration Fee: Fifty dollars (check or money order only, please, made out to the City of Butler). The fee will be collected when the application is submitted, prior to test administration and it is not refundable. Applicants who have not paid will not be permitted to take the test.
- Age & Residency Requirements. All applicants must have reached their 21st birthday before the deadline for submitting completed applications. Individuals hired to fill positions in the police and fire departments must comply with residency requirements outlined in collective bargaining agreements upon satisfactory completion of their probationary period.
- General Qualifications ‑ All Applicants. Each applicant for a position in the police and/or fire department shall be a citizen of the United States and shall possess a diploma from an accredited high school or a graduate equivalency diploma (GED). In addition, each applicant must be physically and mentally fit to perform the full duties of a police officer or firefighter, and possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Applicants for the police department must have completed Act 120 Training. Proof of Act 120 Training for applicants taking the entry-level police officer test must be submitted with the application form.
- Any applicant who claims veteran’s preference must submit a DD Form 214 with his/her application. Any applicant who qualifies for veteran’s preference shall have 10 points added to his/her test score, assuming the veteran achieved a passing score on all components of the test.
- Applicants must complete the Waiver & Release for Background Information on the job application form (next to last page) and it must be notarized. As a part of the background check, the applicant’s motor vehicle records will be reviewed.