City Council of the City of Butler
Inauguration/Swearing-in Ceremony and Reorganization Meeting
January 2, 2018
- At 10:00 AM, January 2, 2018, the following named individuals who won election on November 7, 2017 took their oaths of office.
Administered by The Honorable William T. Fullerton, Magisterial District Judge 50-3-05: Mayor Benjamin A. Smith, Councilman Kenneth E. Bonus, Councilman Jeffrey W. Smith, and Controller Gretchen D. Ehlman. Their term of office is from January 2018 through January 2022.
- City Council met immediately after the swearing-in for its reorganization meeting. Mayor Smith, Councilman Walter, Councilman Smith, Councilman Bonus and Councilman Roche were present.
PA Title 11 – § 11103. Director, Public Affairs & Bureau of Police – Mayor Smith.
Motion by CM Smith with a second from CM Bonus to assign CM Walter as Director of Accounts & Finance. All voted aye.
Motion by CM Roche with a second from CM Mayor Smith to assign CM Smith as Director of Parks/Recreation and Public Property. All voted aye.
Motion by CM Walter with a second from Mayor Smith to assign CM Roche as Director of Public Safety & Bureau of Fire. All voted aye.
Motion by CM Smith with a second from Mayor Smith to assign CM Bonus as Director of Streets & Public Improvements. All voted aye.
- City Council Liaison Appointments.
- Redevelopment Authority of the City of Butler – Mayor Smith.
- Butler Area Sewer Authority – CM Walter.
- Butler County/City Connoquenessing Creek Flood Control Authority – CM Walter.
- Butler Township-City Joint Municipal Transit Authority – CM Bonus.
- City of Butler Planning & Zoning Commission/Zoning Hearing Board/Code Management Appeals Board – Mayor Smith.
- City Shade Tree Commission – CM Smith.
- Pension Investment Advisory Board (Director, Accounts & Finance) – CM Walter.
- Butler Area Public Library – CM Roche.
- City of Butler Parks, Recreation Grounds and Facilities Authority – CM Smith.
- BAMM Plan Oversight Committee – CM Smith.
- Bicycle Advisory Commission – CM Walter.
Motion by Mayor Smith to approve City Council Liaison Appointments. Second by CM Walter. All voted aye.
- Motion to authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to execute and deliver an “Assignment and Assumption of Contracts” in which the City of Butler consents to an Assignment of the Parking Agreement between the City and Butler Hotel Properties LP so as to permit the new owner of the SpringHill Suites Hotel located at 125 E. Jefferson Street (Hari Hotels LLC) to utilize the tier parking garage located adjacent to the hotel under the terms of the Parking Agreement dated January 20, 2015. Second by CM Walter. All voted aye.
- Motion to reopen the 2018 budget. Second by CM Smith. All voted aye.
- Motion to reopen the millage discussion around the “Street Light Tax”. Second by Mayor Smith. All voted aye.
- Motion to allow the Neighborhood Drug Watch program to use the Public Safety Building for on meeting in January and one meeting in March. Second by Mayor Smith. CM Roche made a motion to table the motion. Second by CM Walter. All voted aye. Motion tabled.
There is a vacancy on the City of Butler Parks, Recreation Grounds & Facilities Authority board due to Councilman Roche’s term expiring. A motion for an appointment to a 5 year term will be made at January’s next regular council meeting. All interested parties should submit an updated interest form to the current council in order to be considered.
- There being no other business, Mayor Smith adjourned the meeting at 10:34 AM.