City Council Meeting
City of Butler, Pennsylvania
October 26, 2017
Mayor Donaldson called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM. Mayor Donaldson and Council members Walter, Bonus and Roche were present. The pledge of allegiance to the flag followed an invocation given by Pastor Ben Ogle, Community Life Church.
- NEIGHBORHOOD PRIDE AWARD
John & Melanie Dougherty – 530 East Brady Street
- COMMERICAL PRIDE AWARD
Clark & Kathy Sawyer – Downtown Sounds, 129 North Washington Street
PERSONS TO BE HEARD: (Limited to 5 Minutes)
Bob Brandon spoke about the history of the Bantam and the City and requests the city to take back possession of the Bantam Jeep.
John A. Pro requests the city take back possession of the Bantam Jeep and permit the Butler Old Stone House be caretakers and will pay all costs including the insurance.
Karie Errington presented photos and a petition to pave the 300 block of Oak Street.
Kelly Condon presented several issues concerning the condition of the bricks on Oak Street
Debbie Ferguson spoke about damages from the poor condition of the 300 block of Oak Street.
Cherie Readie spoke about her concerns for the Human Relations Commission and how that would affect the safety of herself and her children while using the YMCA locker room, shower and bathroom.
Shawndra Holmberg, Fair District PA, requested city council to pass an ordinance concerning gerrymandering in Pennsylvania.
Motion by Mayor Donaldson with a second from CM Walter to approve the minutes of Regular meeting of September 28, 2017.
The following actions took place at the City’s Forum Meeting held on October 24, 2017
- City Council, acting as the Board of Health, and under the provisions of the Third Class City Code, Section XXIII, (b) Abatement of Public Nuisances, Section 2321, finds the following subject structure detrimental to public health and orders its removal by demolition: 415 W Diamond Street. Motion by Mayor Donaldson. Second by CM Walter. All voted aye.
MONTHLY & ANNUAL DEPARTMENT REPORTS
(Note: Department Reports Distributed to Council at Tuesday’s Forum Meeting for Review)
Motion by Mayor Donaldson with a second from CM Walter to acknowledge receipt of the monthly minutes from RACB, including the CDBG/HOME Program activities.
Department reports for the month of September were approved by individual, unanimous votes.
- Motion to pay the first installment of the 2017 small borrowing loan to NexTier in the amount of $197,671.50. $195,000.00 – LIN 01 472 913 – Principal: $2,671.50 – LIN 01 472 914 – Interest. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to terminate the agreement with Benefits Network for COBRA administration through Infinisource as of January 1, 2018. (COBRA administration will be done by Municipal Benefit Services). Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to enter into an agreement with CW Breitsman Associates, LLC for COBRA administration beginning January 1, 2018. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to terminate the agreement with Benefits Network as the employee benefits consultant as of January 1, 2018. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve payment to USBank in the amount of $102,643.77 for interest due on General Obligation Bonds Series B-2015. LIN 01 472 800. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve payment to USBank in the amount of $195,572.50 for the bond payment due on General Obligation Bonds, Taxable Series A–2015 as follows:
$190,000.00 LIN 01 472 801 Principal;
$5,572.50 LIN 01 472 800 Interest. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to transfer $298,216.25 from the Parking Fund (5) to the General Fund (1) for the 2017 payment of Bond Series A & B-2015 as follows:
$190,000.00 Principal LIN 05 472 910.
$108,216.25 Interest LIN 05 472 913. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion for the approval and adoption of City Resolution No. 2017-10-26A, a resolution of the City of Butler authorizing the destruction of records maintained by the Office of the City Treasurer pursuant to the Municipal Records Manual of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to direct the City Clerk to prepare and re-release a request for proposals (RFP) for traffic signal maintenance for the years 2018 and 2019. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve payment to Strange Corporation Contractors in the amount of $53,658.00 for the Monroe & Kittanning Storm Sewer Improvements. This represents 90% of the contract price and there will be change orders finalized by the municipal engineer that will add to the final price. LIN 18 427 305. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve the bid from Bauer Excavating, Inc. in the amount of $18,570.00 for the West Brady Street and West New Castle Street Bridge Sediment Removal Project. LIN 18 427 305. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve payment to Southwestern Pennsylvania Corporation in the amount of $61,001.00 for the 3rd cycle of the City of Butler/Butler Township SR 356 SINC-UP project. LIN 18 427 001. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to accept a proposal from and award a contract to Waste Management for the collection of residential solid wastes and recyclable materials for the period January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2020. (A copy of the fee schedule shall be attached to the minutes of this meeting.) Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve the bid from Braden L. Weitzel, II in the amount of $5,538.00 for a 1997 truck from the Streets Department. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to accept the bid from A. P. Wise Excavating, LLC in the amount of $5,050.00 for the demolition of 609 (AKA 607) Peach Street. LIN 18 427 221.
Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve a request from the Butler County Humane Society for use of the Farmers’ Market on October 28th from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm for a rabies clinic. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve use of the Farmers’ Market to Dane Winkler on November 5th, 12th, 17th and 24th to decorate a holiday parade float. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve City Resolution 2017-10-26; a resolution amending the terms of the City of Butler’s Guarantee of the 2016 “Bridge Loan” provided by PNC Bank NA to the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Butler for the purpose of extending the maturity date of the loan to December 6, 2017. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to enter into a five (5) year contract with Otis Elevator Company for the maintenance of the elevator in the Tier Parking Garage at a cost of $308.00 per month. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve the purchase of a tank heater system from Otis Elevator Company for the Tier Parking Garage elevator in the amount of $1,665.92.
LIN 05 448 240. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye. The City Treasurer, presented the Monthly Intake Report for September, 2017.
The City Controller presented bills for payment as follows: from the general fund – $437,442.47; from the parking fund – $32,726.62; from the capital projects fund – $114,794.00; and from the liquid fuels tax fund – $27,289.42; for a grand total of $612,252.51. Motion by Mayor Donaldson with second from CM Bonus to approve payment of bills as presented. All voted aye.
- WISR City Hall – Hold until December, 2017
- Trick or Treat – October 31st from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
- Leaf dump to open October 14th through the end of November.
- City Hall will be closed on Friday, November 10th in observance of Veterans’ Day.
- Veterans’ Day Parade – Saturday, November 11th at 10:40 AM.
Mayor Donaldson adjourned the meeting at 8:01 PM.
Bid Summary Proposals for Collection of Solid Waste January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2020
|BID SUBMITTED BY: Waste Management, Inc.|
|Service Level 1||2018||2019||2020|
|Garbage & Household Rubbish||16.85||17.36||17.88|
|Total Monthly Cost||19.50||20.09||20.69|
|Service Level 2 – Senior Service|
|Garbage & Household Rubbish||15.17||15.63||16.10|
|Total Monthly Cost||17.56||18.09||18.63|
|BID SUBMITTED BY: Vogel Disposal, Inc.|
|Service Level 1||2018||2019||2020|
|Garbage & Household Rubbish||17.50||18.43||18.97|
|Total Monthly Cost||20.50||21.43||21.97|
|Service Level 2 – Senior Service|
|Garbage & Household Rubbish||16.11||16.59||17.08|
|Total Monthly Cost||19.11||19.59||20.08|
|Current Price Schedule with Vogel Disposal, Inc.|
|Service Level 1||2015||2016||2017|
|Garbage & Household Rubbish||15.44||15.97||16.52|
|Total Monthly Cost||18.44||18.97||19.52|
|Service Level 2|
|Garbage & Household Rubbish||3.50||3.75||4.00|
|Total Monthly Cost||6.50||6.75||7.00|