City Council Meeting
City of Butler, Pennsylvania
April 27, 2017
Mayor Donaldson called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM. Mayor Donaldson and Council members Walter, Kline, Bonus and Roche were present. The pledge of allegiance to the flag followed an invocation given by Pastor Kimberly van Driel, First English Lutheran Church.
PERSONS TO BE HEARD:
Kelly Ruby spoke about her involvement with the skate park and how it’s helping many of the city’s youth. They are applying for a Tony Hawk grant to rehab the park into a cement skate park.
Eric Mahler has been involved with the skate park since its inception and updated council on plans for the park.
Shirley A. T. Jackson voiced concerns about the police department returning a desk sergeant. She said people are hesitant to call 9-1-1 because of privacy issues being sent out via the scanner and feels that issues could have been prevented if people could have called directly to the city police.
Motion by Mayor Donaldson with a second from CM Bonus to approve the minutes of Regular meeting of March 23, 2017. All voted aye.
MONTHLY & ANNUAL DEPARTMENT REPORTS
(Note: Department Reports Distributed to Council at Tuesday’s Forum Meeting for Review)
Motion by Mayor Donaldson with a second from CM Roche to acknowledge receipt of the monthly minutes from RACB, including the CDBG/HOME Program activities
Department reports for the month of March were approved by individual, unanimous votes.
- Motion for the adoption of City Ordinance No. 1743; an ordinance increasing the indebtedness of the City of Butler, Butler County, Pennsylvania by the issue of a General Obligation Note in the amount of $390,000.00 for the purpose of storm sewer repairs, traffic signal upgrades, Sullivan Run Flood Control Project and demolition. This ordinance is given to amend Ordinance Number 1742 adopted March 23, 2017.Second by CW Kline. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve City Resolution No. 2017-04-27; a resolution authorizing payment for expenditures not requiring purchase orders. Second by CW Kline. All voted aye.
- Motion to authorize Councilman Roche to approve and sign purchase orders in the absence of the Director of Accounts and Finance. Second by CW Kline. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve Family Medical Leave for Heather Blair, said leave to run concurrently with her paid leave. Second by CW Kline. All voted aye.
- Motion to direct the City Clerk to initiate recruitment action for a temporary part-time employee to fill the position of Finance Clerk while on medical leave, for 4 hours a day in the Office of the City Clerk. The total employment costs per hour for this temporary part-time position are not to exceed the Finance Clerk’s current hourly rate. Second by CW Kline. All voted aye.
Councilwoman Kline presented Lieutenant Dougherty and Firefighter Scott “stork” pins for delivering a baby in March while on duty.
Councilwoman Kline and Dwayne Moore presented Lieutenant Marshall, Firefighter Selfridge and Firefighter Feicht with letters of accommodation for saving Dwayne’s life when he suffered cardiac arrest at the fire station in early April.
- Motion to approve the retirement of Lieutenant Donald J. McCoy, Jr. from the Butler Bureau of Fire following 17 years of service, effective May 27, 2017. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to begin the process to hire four part-time firefighters in the Butler Bureau of Fire. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to authorize the city clerk to advertise for seasonal help for the streets department. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to submit the request of Jerome P. Oliver of America First Enterprises, LLP to amend the zoning ordinance to rezone tax parcel 565-42-64 from an R-2 Zoning District to a C-2 Zoning District to the Planning Commission for recommendation in accordance with Section 260-137 of the Zoning Ordinance. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to extend the Due Diligence Period granted to Jerome P. Oliver / America First Enterprises LLP for the purchase of Tax Parcel 565-42-64 to September 1, 2017, provided closing occurs on or before October 1, 2017. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to accept the bid from Bauer Excavating in the amount of $5,800.00 for the Sullivan Run bank improvements. LIN 18 427 305. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All vote aye.
- Motion to approve the Section 504/ADA Plan Update for 2016. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to authorize the city clerk to advertise for seasonal help for the parks department. Second by Mayor Donaldson. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve an agreement with First Baptist Church to lease Father Marinaro Park for youth soccer practice. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to accept the proposal from Guardian Protection Services for elevator monitoring in the Tier Garage in the amount of $15/month. Second by CW Kline. All voted aye.
- Motion to accept the resignation of parking violation monitor Connie Cassidy, effective May 5, 2017. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to direct the city clerk to advertise for the hiring of one parking violation monitor. Second by CW Kline. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve Pennsylvania Heart & Lung Act benefits for Lieutenant Chad Rensel beginning on April 17, 2017 for a work-related injury he sustained on April 15, 2017. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve Pennsylvania Heart & Lung Act benefits for Sergeant David Villotti beginning on April 17, 2017 for a work-related injury he sustained on April 15, 2017. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to accept the resignation of Diane Christie from the City Shade Tree Commission. Second by CM Roche. All voted aye.
- Motion to approve payment to PSx, Inc. in the amount of $56,248.00 for the construction of the Centre City Parking Garage. LIN 43 463 020. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to enter into a lease agreement with the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Butler for use of the office space in the Tier Parking Garage to be used by the Authority without the duty to pay rent; all leasehold improvements to be constructed by the Authority at no cost to the City. Second by CM Bonus. All voted aye.
- Motion to exonerate the City Treasurer from the collection of 2017 City taxes on Tax Parcels 562-9-185 and 562-9-186 and to refund $310.97 to Lorraine Worsley for overpayment of tax in 2016 that resulted from a catastrophic fire loss. Second by CW Kline. All voted aye.
The City Treasurer presented a Monthly Intake Report for March, 2017.
The City Controller presented bills for payment as follows: from the general fund – $202,659.63; from the parking fund – $33,963.94; from the capital projects fund – $135.00; from the liquid fuels tax fund – $11,017.83; and from the 2015-Series Bond Proceeds – $59,920.00 for a grand total of $307,696.40. Motion by Mayor Donaldson with second from CW Kline to approve payment of bills as presented. All voted aye.
- WISR City Hall – Jimmy Chiprean, Parking Manager
Mayor Donaldson adjourned the meeting at 7:51PM.